Thursday, July 7, 2011

Perception of genuine respect …

Sayamagyi Daw Myint Myint Khin phoned me two weeks ago about Saya U Maung Maung Sein who is getting seriously ill; that he has been admitted to the hospital, and that he needs some assistance. How honorable act of Sayamagyi! As a Chairperson of Healthcare Association for the Aged Medical Doctors, Sayamagyi is still making energetic efforts into the consideration of the healthcare services to her junior doctors although she is 87 years of age. (High costs for healthcare services are hitting hard even successful veteran doctors in Myanmar).

As all students affectionately call her ‘Mommy Gyi’, she thought I’m her student when I introduced seven years ago. While I was serving my internship as a house surgeon at the Mandalay General Hospital after I graduated from Institute of Medicine (1), Sayamagyi had already retired three to four years ago. Nevertheless, her reputation of being a good doctor is still echoing round the Mandalay General Hospital. Her excellent medical skills, professional conduct, indiscrimination on the grounds of the poor and the rich and absence of inequity in relations with her students were spreading for a long time among doctors, nurses and hospital staff although she had retired as a senior doctor.
 
When I get more in touch with Sayamagyi, I noticed that she has a self-confidence manner without pretensions. She seems to have no doubt on her good deeds and behaviors in her profession. People who came across with her could benefit from her confidence.

Sayamagyi said, “Ko Maung Maung Sein might not be your teacher. However, he is very sincere.” I replied, “I know Sayagyi well. When you visit him, I will accompany you to cheer him up.”

(2)
All the medical students admired with high impression on Professor/Head for Surgical Department of Institute of Medicine (2). Due to the comments of our senior medical students, we had acutely feared him since 3rd MB. There is only a fifty-fifty chance to pass final part (II) exam if a student was examined by him. Few students hardly passed his oral exam. Sayagyi U Maung Maung Sein is very outstanding. Although he was very kind to the patients, he is firm on principal with all the people. He did not favor any student at the exams. As a medical student, I appreciated ‘Lady’s Hands, Lion’s Heart’; A Midwife’s Saga, the book written by Carol Leonard. At that time, I wanted to become a surgeon and Sayagyi U Maung Maung Seain was my ideal person.  Coincidentally, I met with Sayagyi at a short case exam. This was my first encounter in person with Sayagyi. My knees were so trembling with fear in front of him that the table in front of me was shaking.
Fortunately, I could answer all his questions well. He did not smile or berate me during the oral test. At the end of his questions, he said, “You could answer all of my questions well. Why are you so trembling with excitements? If I allow passing medical students who do not understand their subjects well, then it would cause troubles to the patients.” He left the table after saying these words.

I met with Saya Sein for the second time as his patient to have a minor operation while I was doing business four years after I had graduated. He did not recognize me, and I did not tell him that I’m a doctor. But I told the nurses that I’m a doctor just before the operation. Wearing the surgical gloves, Saya Sein entered the operating theatre to inject an epidural. He said, “Why didn’t you tell me that you are a doctor? I’ll not take any charge for this operation.” I felt exultation at that time. Sayagyi is still practicing the medical ethics of practitioners up to the operating table according to the Hippocratic Oath that we have to swear during the convocation of medical students! Since then I did not meet again with Sayagyi for over 15 to 20 years. Whenever I talked about medical practitioners, I always affirmed there are some senior doctors who can observe medical ethics up to the operating tables. During the incident of Khaine Shun Lae Ye, which was a regrettable event in the medical history of Myanmar, I had to tell my reporter and editors that a doctor must have skills and good volition similar to Sayagyi to become an admirable genuine medical professional, referring to him.

When I met with Saya Sein for the third time, he could not speak well due to his illness. After I recited his words during our two previous conversations with him and recounted my admiration for him, he became fresh and cheerful. I assured that his endeavors during his lifetime will not be futile. Actual respect can neither be created out of friendship, gratitude, powers and wealth, nor be destroyed it. It will never fade away due to someone’s misdeeds.

(3)
I accompanied my parents to the Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand to have their medical checkup four to five consecutive days in the last week of June. I have visited this hospital since 2007. Surprisingly, I witnessed more Myanmar patients there year by year. Although I did not get official figure, the number of Myanmar patients there has approximately increased about five times within four years. Two third of patients at the Heart Center and Digestive Disease Center are Myanmar citizens. The number of our citizens can compare with Arabs. Although about three thousands of Myanmar people came to this hospital within four years ago, there will be about 20, 000 patients who came to get medical treatment at this hospital. A total number of patients will be one hundred thousand each year inclusions at other hospitals in Thailand, Singapore, India, Malaysia, Australia and England. The costs for their medical treatments will be between US$ 500 million and one billion. Why do many Myanmar citizens have to go abroad for medical treatments? Do Myanmar people become rich? Do the advertisements of foreign hospitals increase? Is it due to the criticisms of journals and media about the weakness of hospitals, clinics and doctors in Myanmar?

(4)
There have been some repercussions in medical sphere due to an article covered in the Snap Shot Journal three to four weeks ago. As the family members of the patient, except Myanmar senior surgeon, did not comment on the consequences of this article, we could not know who is right and who is wrong. According to review on the situations behind this article, the aim, ethics, and information of the writer are questionable. However, his opinion and views on the duty of doctors at the private hospitals are reasonable. We also pointed out to revamp the management of hospitals and duty hours of doctors according to the norms of healthcare facilities as in foreign countries. Senior doctors should work under the management of the hospitals. However, it is a controversy for me about the paragraph (2) of announcement by Myanmar Medical Association (Mandalay). It said that ‘the article in the news journal may obliterate the mutual firm trusts being established between medical doctors and patients— between practitioners and people.” Is it possible to obliterate the trusts due to the writer of this article? What does the announcement mean that the stance of news media and the influence of the media have started to decline?

(5)
At present, our county needs actual changes. It is the time to alleviate daily various distresses of Myanmar people. The dawn of a new age should appear in our country. High-handed manners, detestation, prejudices and turning a blind eye should be stopped.

Willingness to change depends on realizing the truth. Truth must be known, told and done. The shortages in human resources are occurring in various sectors of our country. It is also happening in medical sphere. These persons should not regard themselves that they are perfectly educated persons. Such nostrums will derail the actual solution. Systems and policies should not always be pointed to. We should not practice as driftwoods. We should not go along with crowd. Wrong track should not be followed. As the healthcare budget for each citizen is not sufficient, Myanmar people are facing some problems. Healthcare budget should be increased about five fold annually within five years. Experts should propose this necessity to the government. Moreover, mentality, attitude and ethics of physicians should be taken into account. The number of people who can afford to take medical treatment abroad is less than five percent of domestic patients. We must seriously consider about sufficient healthcare services for the remaining 95 percent. The government and legislative bodies should know that how Myanmar people are encountering which problems; that the government funds used in healthcare services and education sectors are the long-term investment for the country.

Genuine respect can be neither created nor destroyed by powers. It radiates from heart and soul.

No comments: